There are several Long haired dog breed: There are small, medium and large sizes. Each of them has a need Decoration In particular, it also depends on the type of hair. However, they all share the fact that they are extremely attractive, even though they need more everyday attention.
It is worth paying to keep the coat free from knots and to remove stalks, leaves or insects from the thick covering that can get stuck in it. A curiosity began, what happened The longest haired dog breed in the world? Many argue that it is Hungarian puli la The most hairy variety in the world.
Types of dog hair
Dog coats are usually made up Top coat and undercoat (It is sometimes missing or very rare)
Depending on the type Hair texture We may have:
- Hard or rough: The upper coat is stiff, short and rough, while the undercoat is thick
- bristly: the top coat is rough and rough, while the undercoat is short and thick
- Semi-hard or semi-rough: It is a combination of smooth and coarse hair with hair that can be short, medium and long, while the undercoat is fine and thick.
- Fur: Hair is not very shiny and very thick
- Silky: Hair is very thin and soft
- Smooth or short: short and shiny coat, presence or absence of undercoat
- Hedgehog: The top coat creates real curls and does not molt, thus losing short hair
Depending on LengthInstead, we have:
- Long: The upper coat is longer (more than 7 cm), while the undercoat varies from sparse to thick. The coat varies from smooth to cordate
- Half-length: Hair 4 to 7 cm long. The coat type varies from silky to wavy, usually with thin hair
- Short: Long hair 15 mm to 4 cm. Hair smooth, straight and stiff
- Satin: Long hair 5 to 15 mm. Coats are very thin, short and thick, a little thicker in some varieties
- Naked: They are hairless dogs or very hairy. The skin is usually dark and the skin is soft
The hair can then be wavy, form rope, etc.
Types of long coats for dogs
If we talk specifically about long haired dogs, it can be smooth, curly or wavy, as well as rough, silky, furry. Here it is The main type of long hair:
- Presence Central division: Separation takes place along the entire back. When brushing them, this factor must be taken into consideration. Among such long-haired species we see Maltese, Shih-tazu or Sky Terrier, Lhasa Apso or even Afghan Hound.
- Absence of central division: In this case there is no division of hair. Among the species we include Chow Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Volpino, Pekins, Newfoundland, Bearded Collie, Bobtail, Samoid or even the long haired St. Bernard.
- With Undercoat: These are double-coated dogs. The top coat is usually long and waterproof, while the undercoat is short and thick. The advantage of this type of hair is that it allows the dog to withstand the harshness of winter and keep it cool in summer. The downside is that when this type of coat gets wet, the dog smells a little too much. It is also the common coat of the water dog. Dog breeds with this coat include Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Newfoundland, Beard Collie, Bobtali, Corgi, Border Collie, Shepherd of Beaus, German Shepherd, Husky, Alaskan Malamute. , Samoyed, Volpino, Chow Chow, Shih Tzu or Yorkshire Terrier
- With silky hair: Hair tends to be as long, soft and shiny as silk. Dogs such as the Irish Setter, Cocker Spaniel or Afghan Hound are included in this group.
- Hair with rope: They are classic The “road” dog. This dress is known because it fits everything. The coat is woolen and thick, while the undercoat is rough and shiny. Join together Form i dreadlock Characteristic (which should not be brushed, even if it is necessary to avoid very large hair knots and cluster formation). Among the species of this type of hair we have Bergamsco Shepherd, Puli or Commander.
- Curly hair: Coat curly, delicate and dense. Among them we have Poodle, American Water Dog or Lagoto. Then there are variants in the fridge, which are waved without creating the original curls, such as Beacon Fries.
The main breed of long-haired dog
There Long haired dog breed The long coat is the only breed approved by the Breed Standard. And then there are some dog breeds where it is both allowed Short haired variant compared to long haired variant. Do you want some examples now? Here they are: Dachshunds can be both short haired and long haired (or rough haired in that respect). However, St. Bernard also exists between short-haired varieties and long-haired varieties.
Breeds of short-haired, long-haired dogs
These are a few Breeds of short-haired, long-haired dogs:
- Long haired dachshund
- Bedlington Terrier
- Bichon Frisé
- Meat sauce
- Equestrian King Charles Spaniel
- Shetland sheep dogs
- Long haired Chihuahua
- Cuddly puppy
- Coton de Tulear
- Bow tie
- Shih Taju
- Yorkshire Terrier Yorkshire Terrier
- White Mountain in the western mountains
Breed of medium sized long haired dog
These are a few Breed of medium sized long haired dog:
- Bearded collie
- Border Collie
- Australian Shepherds
- English setter
- irish detective
- Strong in Siberia
Breeds of large sized long haired dogs
These are a few Breeds of large sized long haired dogs:
- Alaskan Malamute
- Akita Inu
- Bernice Mountain Dog
- Bergamasco Shepherd Dog
- Maremma-Abruzzese Shepherd Dog
- Pyrenean Shepherd Dog
- Dog dog
- Golden Retriever
- Afghan Hound
- Belgian Shepherd
- Bergamasco Shepherd Dog
- Caucasian Shepherd
- Long haired German Shepherd
- Long haired St. Bernard
- Tibetan breed of dog
Ways to take care of long haired dogs
Acceptance Caring for long haired dogs This, of course, is more in demand than short, smooth coated dogs. Especially for very specific breeds, it is better to avoid DIY and go back to it Specialist groomers For that breed.
The risk, in fact, to take care of their coats in the wrong way, ends up losing its strange properties. Let’s take an example: “street” dogs can only be brushed when they are puppies, unless they make a dreadlock. Once formed, these should not be brushed, otherwise the coat loses its properties.
How to wash a long haired dog
Need Wash them with the correct frequencyNot very often (unless the dog is suffering from a specific dermatological disease that requires frequent bathing with certain medicinal products, in this case it will be your veterinarian to indicate the correct frequency), or very rarely.
A myth must also be dispelled. Many owners are convinced that if their long haired dog makes knots, bathing them is enough to remove these knots. This is absolutely not true, washing does not magically untie the knot.
Can long haired dogs be pricked?
What a concern Long haired dog trimmed, Much depends on the breed, the type of hair and the use of the dog. Needless to say, long hair strands that need to be showcased and displayed should not be shortened, but should only be brushed or sorted as needed.
Dogs that do not show up on the other side can be bitten, but be careful, even here it depends on the breed. In some of them, in fact, shearing can ruin the natural properties of the hair and it is not certain that when the hair grows back, it will return to normal.
Another detail: there are some Reproduction where it is possible that once the hair is cut short it will not grow back. These are the so-called suffering dogs Shearing alopecia. Very often this failure is seen in breeds of Nordic dogs such as the Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute, Akita Inu and Shiva Inu and also in Newfoundland.
Does a long haired dog shed more hair than others?
The Long-haired dogs shed more hair Others? Well, no, it really depends on the breed. For example, long haired, curly haired dogs shed very little hair. Long-haired dogs, on the other hand, lose their hair when they cut their hair, just like short-haired dogs. In fact, it is easier to pick up long hair lying around than short hair.
What to do if it is very hot in summer?
And What to do if it is very hot in summer? Here, too, it depends on the type of coat: for some species it may be expected that it may be shortened, but not for others. Is important Never cut your hair too short.
A common misconception, in fact, is that long haired dogs suffer from excessive heat due to their hair. In fact, the coat helps the dog to withstand high temperatures. Dogs that are too small lose the protection provided by the coat and become more a Risk of heat stroke And sunburn.
How to groom different types of dog’s long hair
Dogs with split long hair, as mentioned earlier, have to go Regularly brushed and combed Following the farewell instructions. The same is true of dogs without split ends, they must be brushed at least once a day to avoid large clusters of knots that can damage the underlying skin causing dermatitis.
Long haired dogs with double coats may be required Squeeze them lightly in the summer. However, do not cut the hair too short.
The Dog with long silky hair They need to brush every day, just to prevent knots and scars from forming. Street dogs, on the other hand, don’t need to be brushed, dreadlocks will melt and will never be repaired again.
However, every day, you need to remove the knots with your fingers, removing all the foreign bodies stuck in the hair. In fact, it’s not uncommon for Bergamsk Shepherds or commandos to look full of all sorts of foreign bodies stuck in leaves, twigs and hair. If you get this kind of breed, you must consider that you have to spend a lot of time every day for cleaning, otherwise you will get a short haired breed.
For Dogs with curly or wavy hairOn the other hand, things get complicated because each variety requires a certain way of decorating. For example, arranging a poodle is not the same as arranging a lagoto. In addition, multiple types of brushes may be required. You need at least one for poodle CarderTo eliminate even dead hair and a wide toothed comb.