I was so tired, I just finished a very busy week, full of promise, dissatisfaction and tough deadlines. I decided to book a book without intruders and spend a day at the beach with myself. I was restless in the living room, trying to collect sunscreen, beach towels, a book that I could finally finish reading and other miscellaneous items to put in the bag. When my dogs started to see me wagging their tails.
They looked at the sea bag and thought it was a suitcase and who I was, fast, I was ignoring them. They sit next to the bag, on the carpet, and begin to talk to me in silence.
It was clear that it was Sunday, and it was Sunday for them too: they wanted to leave home.
Arthur and Coco
In the first stage I decided to leave them at home with my daughter, because the man, Arthur, was particularly eccentric and had a slight inclination towards socializing; He had a hard childhood and he loved like crazy only his family unit-pack and some other scattered people who come to my house frequently. She needs a very slow sensitive break to enter a relationship, which doesn’t go well with an immediate Sunday at sea. Coco, his companion on adventure and couch, especially friendly, party-loving and playful; To take attention and pampering, disturb pedestrians by them.
And he will sell his soul to the first crunch or affection that passes.
I finished the bag, I couldn’t take my eyes and mind away from them.
They look like two salt idols. Features. Begging with manners and dignity. Slightly wagging their tails is enough to make you feel guilty. Strict but loving. They won, I told myself. I took their double carriers and decided to take them to sea with me, even though I knew I was neglecting the book and not getting the rest I was hoping for.
Taormina in the sun
Here we are in the sea of Taormina.
The sun is already hot, the sky is so intense blue that it looks shiny. From the beach you can see Calabria on one side and Augusta on the other. There are no shadows of clouds, all mixed with a thick array of flowering thorny pears. A fishing boat is returning from its fishing: it sails slowly, no more than five knots, it leaves a soft path in the water that closes as it goes.
The sand is yellow, golden in color. Shiny and spotless, fresh record.
I stare at the horizon fascinated by light and warmth and they are with me. I chose a sunbed and an umbrella.
I put my dogs to bed, at my feet, with their little heads in the shade, and I recommend a thousand: “Don’t bark, don’t bother, don’t scatter sand to pedestrians”. And when I talk to her I feel a little stupid, basically I tell myself.
I decorate the bowls with water, well aware that soon they will become a mixture of water and sand, I take their towels and their toys and I hope to rest.
Empathy and rest
My Sunday at the beach was wonderful, not at all tiring, bright with light and unexpected harmony.
All day long my dogs slept, played with each other, ran around the beach with their ribs, and nibbled at me, their bones, bathed in the sun. Necessarily, so. I read, slept, bathed, talked to other bathers, ate, sunbathed. Necessarily, so.
Everyone passing by my bed stopped to look at them and they reciprocated with contagious affection.
My dog, like all other dogs, smells of fear and love, so they approach or stay in place if those who are interested in them are afraid or unwilling. They have nothing to do with it. Sometimes I think we should learn on our own.
If you have a dog you know it
During this gift of mine called “Sunday with my dog on the beach”, I talked to strangers who were able to thank my dogs.
Because when you have a dog, you can recognize who loves them or is lucky enough to live with them from afar. Distance close to zero and the heart wide open and talking to each other. It is true that interaction with dogs triggers deep emotional interactions. It happens every time, everywhere. The heart suddenly opens and every dog has a huge potential to create a deep and intimate connection with everything and everyone.
See with the mind
Animals teach us to speak outside, to hear and see with the heart, even without ears and eyes. Today, after years of persistent visits to this beach, I have seen and felt unprecedented tremors that I have never felt before.
At the end of the day, the owner of Lido de Taormina told me: “Thanks to the company, your dogs have made this place a better place.”
The column “Amici per La Zampa, Stories” is published every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We look forward to hearing from you!
Do you want to write your story? Here’s how to do it:
– Send your story (with a photo or video) to email@example.com (indicates the word STORIES in the content of the e-mail)
– Indicate how you want to sign the story
– Specify a telephone number to ask for additional information
We hope many of you will come!
Follow LaZampa.it on Facebook (click here), Twitter (click here) Instagram (click here)
Don’t miss the Lazamper best news and stories, subscribe to the free weekly newsletter (click here)
– Farewell to Napoli fan cat Edward: “I just met Maradona, tonight I’ll have dinner with Toto”
– Chocolate, the stray dog that united the community that saved his life
– Ukraine, experts allege: “Russian ship’s gold kills dolphins, it is impossible to estimate the number of dead specimens”
– Young Vania’s courage, the child saves his cat from the Mariupol bomb
– Greyhound dog race, dog track under construction in Masrada Sul Piave triggers protests by animal rights activists: “Stop!”
– Drama in the United States: More than five million pollinated bees die during air travel in Alaska
– Putin deploys “war” dolphins: Sevastopol was used to protect Russian ships from submarine attacks
– Five puppies thrown in the garbage at Foggia, two dead
– “Dog breeds are not indicative of their behavior”
– Lucilla’s desire to live is saved by the blind eagle Lacey
– Cat escapes from Sima Bucha and gets lost, after 45 days he doesn’t come out of nowhere near home
– A three-legged cancer-sick dog dives into a river to rescue a baby otter
– The story of Lucy, the cat hiding in Valentina’s travel bag, escaping from Ukraine
– “Taking care of her dog gave me the strength to start my life again”, moving letter from elderly neighbor
– Other armies: Volunteers risking their lives to help Ukraine’s dogs, cats and other animals
– The story of Willie the Trump, the dog that has been resting for 142 years getting an Englishman
– The United States, so a panicked cat has caused panic among the passengers of the United flight
– Tragedy in Uganda: A lioness and her two cubs were electrocuted, they were an endangered species
– Ukrainian cat and dog guardian angel Alexei, star of “Dancing with the Star” and three-time striptease champion
– Dog Mafalda and her noisy tumbling
– So Xenox, the huge cat with full eyes and full body, became the “Mayor of Hell” for a day
– Molpheta dedicates a plaque to Rufus, the dog that welcomes passengers to the station
– Maryland has become the second U.S. state to ban the cruel practice of declaring cats
– Kicking the house cat and slapping it, footballer Zuma will go to court
– The world’s largest wildlife bridge will be built in California
– Thieves rob and threaten some workers with knives, a dog chases him and interrupts
– The incredible story of Dexter, the one-eyed cat that disappeared five years ago and was found in an oil rig
– The tragic story of Murchik, the cat who survived the Russian bombing died shortly before returning to his Ukrainian family.
– 60 bullets were found in the dog, abdomen and chest of the dog in Oristano area
– The world’s oldest dog is Toby Keith, 21-year-old Chihuahua.
– So the dog helps to heal the wounds of war
– A stray dog rescued a 12-year-old boy in the rain on his way home from school: “It was an angel”
– Annette’s happy ending story, two-legged and two-wheeled dog
– Fiona, the dog that is bored and has Saturn against
– The faithful dog on the doorstep has been adopted for the slain owner in Rini, Ukraine
– Farewell to the dog Chunk, in 2015 he received the Camogly Loyalty Award for rescuing a little girl at sea
– A cat eats fifty hair bands, saved thanks to surgery
– So a dog in Brazil “attacks” a study of a news program for sleeping
– Ukraine, the dog returned to the yard where his family and four-legged friend were killed
– The story of Artem, a cat fleeing Kyiv with an autistic child. In Italy the cat was then treated because it was positive for covid
– A man and his dog travel on a scooter and collide with a car, both die in the Neapolitan area
– Ukrainian refugees are welcomed at Mazara del Vallo for their passion for dogs
– He beats his partner on the street, but his friend’s dog saves him: one arrested in Rimini
– Here is Ivsei, the therapy dog who comforts war-wounded Ukrainian children
– Porthos, cat with “built-in navigator”: he was able to travel 20 kilometers from Turin to Vinovo and go home alone
– “A dog under the bomb for 50 weeks alone, half-dead”, the dramatic story of the Chernihiv veterinarian
– The story of Simba, the cat that stayed in Lviv that hugged the owners again in Italy yesterday.
– The story of Ugo, the dog that has been digging since he entered the canal, probably fleeing in search of happiness.
– War in Ukraine, why do Russians kill dogs and other animals?
– Dog genocide in Russia-Ukraine war: bomb wounded, killed along with their masters, but also eaten by soldiers
– Lily and Bill, two dogs abandoned by the family due to old age and illness, have had their happy end in Modena.
– The dog must wear the “Elizabeth collar”, the owner does the same to keep her from feeling lonely.
– The dog’s happiness has just been released from the hospital when he sees his four-legged friend who never left him.
– The dog Furia has changed his life: from self-harm to the love of his new owner